When you hire an employee in the UK, you will need to follow these steps:
- Verify the employee's right to work in the UK. You will need to check and keep copies of documents such as passport or residence permit.
- Register with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as an employer. This is necessary to set up a payroll and pay your employees.
- Set up a payroll system. This includes calculating and deducting income tax and National Insurance contributions.
- Provide a written contract of employment. This should include details such as working hours, pay, and notice periods.
- Comply with UK health and safety laws. You have a legal responsibility to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of your employees.
- Follow UK employment laws and regulations. This includes laws related to discrimination, working time, and the National Minimum Wage.
- Enroll employees in a workplace pension scheme. Since 2018, employers are required to automatically enroll eligible workers into a pension scheme and make contributions to it.
- Register for Auto-enrollment with the Pensions Regulator.
By following these steps, you will be ensuring compliance with UK regulations and providing your employees with the necessary legal protections and benefits.